Tuesday, August 29, 2006

l'amore, si chiama Italia

Sometimes I will glimpse a picture or read a few words that will literally make my heart ache for Italy. My second home, because home is where the heart is. I do not long with the same intensity for the shores of the Northwest, where the waves gently lap at the gravely beach.

Right now, my soul hurts with a desperation fueled by the dappled shade cast by olive trees and the chill of icey cold limoncello. Gazing across a blinding noontime Mediterranean coatline, questa paese ha il mio cuore.

1 comment:

Kat + Danny said...

Hello.

I first came across your blog when I tried to start my own blog about life as an "americana" in Tuscany and learned the user name I wanted was already taken!

Now I'm back in the states and I cannot empathize more with this post. It's crazy that the smallest things can take me back -- the smell of garlic roasting, the taste of olive oil, a forgotten note or photograph tucked inside a book. And then that feeling like my ribcage is collapsing in on my heart. I'd never felt the pangs of homesickness until I left Italy. Good to know I'm not alone.